In Sound of Music Julie Andrews sang about raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, and even bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens. Well, those are all great…but they’re not my favorite things!!
My list goes something like this:
- Front porches and porch swings. No home should be without them.
- My Cousin Vinny. It always makes me laugh!
- The Locomotion. Oh my goodness. I sure love to “do The Locomotion”!
- Iridescent jewelry. It makes me happy just to look at it…and when I wear it.
- San Francisco. I think I did leave a little piece of my heart there.
- Pizza. I grab a slice at my favorite pizza place whenever I’m in the neighborhood.
- Pretty Woman. My “most watched” movie for sure!
- Rocking chairs. How could we care for precious grandchildren — or great-grandchildren! — without one?
- Margaritas. Straight up, with salt. Yum!
- Pepsi. While I love margaritas, those are often few and far between. Pepsi, on the other hand, is usually close at hand.
- Beautiful rolling hills. I grew up surrounded by hills and I do miss them when they’re not nearby.
- Black clothes. Can’t help myself!
- Salzburg, Austria. When I flew out of magnificent Salzburg many years ago I had tears in my eyes…
- Dancing. Where the heck can a 70 year go to dance these days?
- Murder mystery novels. David Baldacci, Harlan Coben, Michael Connelly and J. D. Robb come to mind.
- Old time rock ’n’ roll. We do know that “today’s music ain’t got the same soul”!
I could go on and on. I could even make a list of more serious favorites; being a grandmother would definitely top that list! But enough for today.
As Julie Andrews tells us, “When I’m feeling sad, I simply remember my favorite things and then I don’t feel so bad.” Hey, it really does work!
So I ask: What are a few of your favorite things???